– The cocktail chart of film & literature characters. (Daisy Buchanan sure does love her mint juleps.)
– In case you missed it, the best beach reads from ArtsATL.
– Sugar Mule’s current issue, No Place Like Home, explores stories, memoir and poetry of the South Asian Diaspora, including my own story, Homeland. Check it out
– Farm lit replaces chick lit as the new “it” genre for women.
– Writers who dislike likable characters.
– In an old, but wonderful letter, Hellen Keller sets book-burning German students straight.
– Not sure I agree with this list of 15 books you should not read in your twenties. (I don’t get it…why not?)
– Apparently, creative people say “no.” (If that’s the case, I should be doing this more.)
– Challenges to staying the course in the art-committed life and a related essay on the psychic challenges for the recent MFA grad student. (With some great advice by authors.)
– Letters from Willa Cather to F. Scott Fitzgerald.
– An excerpt from a forthcoming book about carpet weavers in Afghanistan.
– Book staircase porn.
– More great tattoos inspired by books.
– E-book sales give publishers a boost.
– Loved this: 8 signs you’re a book person.
– The benefits of home libraries for children.
– 30 classic Dr. Seuss quotes that will change your life.
– The Justice Department says Apple was the ringleader in the price-fixing of e-books.
– A book on women writers and comedians on the choice not to have children.
– Loved this– 7 ways of looking at The Great Gatsby.
I leave for my second MFA residency at Queens University in Charlotte on Sunday, then I’m taking a much needed few days off. Book Banter will be back in 2 weeks. Take care.